Hazelnut Bastille is a topdown adventure game with metroidvania elements which seeks to continue the great lineage of superior design from the mid 90s- the moment in time when mainstream 2D titles reached arguably their greatest level of refinement, in titles such as Super Metroid and Link to the Past. We seek to emulate this period in most ways, from graphic presentation, to audio production, to general level design philosophy.
Hazelnut Bastille tells the story of a young woman who travels to a foreign shore on the outskirts of her world, in order to seek out the promised gifts of mythological ancients, in hopes of retrieving something which was lost to her. On the way, her story becomes irrevocably intertwined with the lives of those living in this far off land.
- Heavily conscientious level design
- Metroidvania progression
- Classic open-world Overworld and Dungeon format
- 16-bit graphic and audio style
- 8-voice Chiptune and lofi sample soundtrack
- Classic 8-way and 4-way navigation modes for gameplay
- Enemy design invoking original standards of 16-bit era
- Intense, brutal bosses which require learning and observation
- Highly challenging combat sequences with a high skill ceiling
- Puzzles built around observation, item use, and sequential logic
- Complex trading system to obtain optional items
- Customizable playstyle based on which items player obtains and equips
Versions Hazelnut Bastille
ver: 1.0.1 / Oct 15.2018
Screenshots Hazelnut Bastille
Video Hazelnut Bastille
Hazelnut Bastille is a precedent-driven, pixel art topdown adventure, referencing its design sensibility and mechanics foundation from the 90s classics.