OpenJUMP is an open source Geographic Information System (GIS) written in the Java programming language. It is developed and maintained by a group of volunteers from around the globe.
They launched an independent development branch called OpenJUMP. The name gives credit to the original JUMP development, and at the same time describes the objectives of this project to be fully open to anyone wanting to contribute. These days OpenJUMP is developed and maintained by (some few) volunteers around the globe.
The current version can read and write shapefiles simple GML files as well as several other vector formats via plugins. It can also read from several spatial databases and write to postgis. It has support for images and for WFS and WMS web-services. So you can use it as GIS Data Viewer. However, its particular strength is the editing of geometry and attribute data. One can style the appearance of data in OpenJUMPs map display and can export the view to SVG. A growing number of vector analysis tools for topologic analysis and overlay operations is available too. OpenJUMP adds coordinate reference system transforms and 1.9 adds several spatial databases reading capabilities as well as a lot of bug fixes and improvements.
* Vector GIS (that can read rasters as well)
* provides open API & PlugIn system, scripting via BeanShell and Java Python
* edit, save, analyse, conflate and display your GIS data
* strives to handle empty geometries well
* elaborate shortcuts, undo/redo
* Vector formats:
* read DXF*, JML, GeoJSON, GML, SHP
* write DXF*, JML, GeoJSON, GML, SHP, SVG*
* Raster format read support:
* georeferencing per world file or GeoTIFF
* BMP, DCX, FPX, GIF, JB2, JBIG2, JPEG, PAM, PBM, PCX
* PGM, PNG, PNM, PPM, PSD, TGA, TIFF, WBMP, XBM, XPM
* ECW & JPEG2000 (with 32bit Java on Windows, Linux, MacOSX)* incl. in Plus
* MrSID (with oracle jre on Windows, Linux)*
* Raster format write support:
* JPG, PNG
* Database access:
* read PostGIS, ArcSDE*, Oracle*, MySQL*, SpatialLite
* write PostGIS*
* Archives and compressed files:
* read known data formates from zip, tar, tar.gz, tar.bz2 archives or gz, bz2 compressed files
* supports OGC standards WMS & WFS (-T), GML 2, SLD, SFS
* Topology tools: line noder, polygonizer, planar graph,...
* Raster analysis via SEXTANTE connector
* Attribute transfer tools (1:1 transfer, or n:1 transfer)
* calculating length, area, centroid, buffer, convex hull,...
* spatial and attribute query functions
* rotating, scaling, auto-complete polygon, cut, merge, simplify polygons and lines
* warping, quality assurance tools*
* map generalization functions*
* sophisticated print out capability*
* * functionality provided via additional plugi
Versions The JUMP Pilot Project
Screenshots The JUMP Pilot Project
Jump-pilot works great.
Great drawing and rendering performance